Maunsell Army Forts - The Maunsell Army Forts were designed and named after Guy Maunsell. The towers were built on land and floated out to sea in 1943. These small fortified towers were used as anti-aircraft defense in the Second World War for the United Kingdom. The army forts carried 4 QF 3.75 inch guns and 2 Bofors 40 mm guns. During the World War the forts shot down 22 aircraft and 30 or more flying bombs. The tower forts were decommissioned in the late 1950’s and abandoned in 1958.